The Mental Health Awareness training will be helpful in my job and has given me a different perspective on how I could be talking to people.
How we work
What is Community Development?
Community Development uses a range of methods and activities to
enable community, statutory and voluntary organisations to bring
about improved health and well being. This approach aims to link
local needs to strategic priorities.
What Can Community Development Do?
Community Development provides an investment in the local
population's health by providing practical ways and solutions
- Support the delivery of health targets, e.g., reducing health
- Identification of community health concerns and solutions
- Influencing of commissioning decisions
- Provision of new patterns of services that are tailored and
sensitive to community needs
- Improvement of community skills to enhance health
- Wider determinants associated with ill health (e.g., housing,
employment, crime, disorder)
What Community Development is not:
- Quick. Community development is a long term process, focusing
on people, their needs and aims. This long term approach is
essential to ensure that changes are sustainable and
- A numbers game. If only five people turn up to the public
meeting, these are the five people you start working with.
- Partnership working. Community development is the activity
which enables many people to get to the partnership table in the
- Consultation. Community development is much more than
consulting on decisions already made.
- A cheap way of delivering services, demonstrating management
efficiency or validating funding bids.
- The answer to everything.
How Can Community Development Be Used?
Community Development empowers local communities to
articulate and take ownership over their own health needs. It
encourages partnership working, long term involvement and
participation between communities, service planners and providers
- Engagement with communities
- Advocating for improvements and facilitating access
- Developing networks
- Embedding health improvement and health promotion into
- Building relationships to develop community ownership
- Planning and delivering health projects with community members
and community agencies
- Bringing about practical and meaningful changes to people's
Why is Community Development effective?
Community Development is effective because it:
- Works with people's local knowledge, community structures and
- Develops relationships and trust with partners at all
- Delivers health initiatives in partnership with
- Picks up concerns and feeds community views into strategic
planning processes to create meaningful and practical changes
- Targets inequalities
- Places workers in a community setting
Are you interested in community development work? Want to
find out more? Contact our Community Development
Workers to discuss how Off The Record can help...